Friday, December 28, 2012

my birthday love language


Allyee, Sarah, and me at Wadi Qelt





Those who know me well know that material gifts are not what I want on my birthday. My love language is relational and that means that the best birthday gift would be spending quality time together, creating memories to treasure, and connecting through meaningful conversation. So I could not have been more excited to have my family arrive from the States just in time to celebrate my birthday here in the West Bank. 






Sarah & Coty at the Wadi Qelt Overlook
Although they were a bit jet lagged, we had a marvelous day wandering through the markets of old town Bethlehem before driving out to the wilderness of Wadi Qelt. I’ve blogged before about this hauntingly beautiful place of prayer and contemplation. It is simply my favorite spot in all of Israel. I have been there many times and have admired the St. George Monastery and the ancient “wadi” or stream from across the canyon. Surprisingly, I have never been to the monastery before. With some encouragement from the Bedouins we met there, we decided to hike down the very, steep path to see if the Brothers would open the doors for us even though it was Sunday.



Allyee, me, and Jenn at the Wadi Qelt Overlook
After the over-stimulating experience in the bazars of Bethlehem, the overlook was a welcome relief of stillness and calm. The ear, eye, and heart reset until you begin to notice the slightest mummer of the wind, the seemingly imperceptible of movement of life, and the whispers of your inner voice. Whether it is the heightened perception of a man on a donkey across the vast canyon, the tinkling bell around the neck of a wandering goat, or your own breathing, focus shifts and beauty emerges in this most desolate of landscapes.




riding up the hill on Bedouin donkeys
the cliff hanging monastery of St. George 
When we finally left the overlook and headed down the trail, the conversation with the Bedouins proved fascinating. One of the men told me his family numbered around 10,000 but that his immediate family was only about 50 people. Dependent on herding and living off the land, this small, nomadic Arab minority has been deeply impacted by Israeli land development. But on this day, there were no complaints as the men were content to sell us rides on their donkeys whose importance became clear as when we reached the monastery. Hiking up that hill would be a challenge to my 56 year old knees!



one of the many Bedouins we met with Coty & Sarah
Once there, I was reminded of the beautiful gift I was given on my last pilgrimage to Israel in 2011. It is a photo of Bedouin shepherdesses tending sheep beside this very same ancient stream. I have often thought about whether or not women shepherdesses were part of the community that heard the angelic chorus announcing the birth of Christ in the fields surrounding Bethlehem. It is marvelous to think that in this part of the world, it is just as likely that women were tending their flocks by night as it was men. Just like at empty tomb, perhaps it was women who first perceived the good news.
with Chris, Allyee, Jenn, Sarah, and Coty
in front of the monastery at Wadi Qelt

It was a perfect day. My greatest birthday joy was being with my family. I am passionate about my daughters, Sarah and Allyee, and enjoy their boyfriends, Coty McClung and Chris Hunter. I could not ask for more kind and considerate additions to our family. Rounding out our Bethlehem gang is my former housemate, Jenn Reimer, who is currently a professor in Turkey.





This is certainly a birthday I will never forget!


1 comment: