Sunday, November 29, 2015

Pink Café for Girls


typical men's cafe in West Bank
When we were in Ramallah a few days ago, our dear young friend, Adam Streeter, told us about his morning routine of sitting in cafes to surf the net. As we drove by a few of his favorites, he mentioned that a few of them were “men only” cafes. This was a rather astonishing revelation as I had never heard of such a thing even though I had lived in the West Bank for several months. He clarified that women were not legally forbidden but that culturally, a gal would have to have guts to walk into one and sit down. 
the newly opened Pink Cafe in Beit Sahour




So imagine our surprise when a few days later in Beit Sahour, Mary Ellen and I stumbled across the “Pink Café” This is a girls only café where women can gather without the judgment or distraction of men. We enjoyed the quiet and fast internet connection. This café had only opened a day or two before and so we were among the first wave of customers.






inside the Pink Cafe

Not sure if I really like the idea of separate social spaces for men and women. Last week, one young man I know from East Jerusalem invited me to his wedding, an appealing invitation particularly since I am considering attending a conference in Bethlehem around that time. But then I realized that I wouldn't know anyone there because I would be in the women only section. I still can't quite get my head around the fact that at Muslim weddings here in this part of the world, the men celebrate separately from the women - including the bride and groom!




Ah, the joy of different cultures. 

I love the fact that women are creating their own social spaces. In a culture where men are the primary ones who go out for coffee, it is wonderful to see women in the "pink."

sign for the bathroom - don't hold it!






No comments:

Post a Comment