Friday, April 15, 2016

Context

Knowing the context seems to be key in navigating this region of the world. It provides the clues for social interactions, the providence of prevailing political world views, and the framework for meaning making, particularly in the area of religion.

Air Kiss
In Palestine, the greeting among my Christian friends involves an embrace and kissing one another on the cheek. Same for the Bedouins I have met. However an observant Muslim man will never shake the hand of woman who is not part of his family. An ultra-orthodox Jewish man will never even establish eye contact with a woman who is not related to him.  

I am used to the muddled looks on people's faces when responding to their questions about my occupation. With few knowing the meaning of the word pastor or minister, I further confuse them by saying I am a woman priest. "Priest" means a religious leader here but with there is no context for a woman to hold that role.  

So here I am in largely secular city of Istanbul, enjoying dinner with my good friend, Jennifer Reimer who is a professor at a Turkish University. Long into our conversation, our waiter, Emir, interrupted us to ask where we were from and then proceeded to ask more details about our lives.  He totally understood Jenn's profession but could not even begin to wrap his head around mine.  

Priests outside Nativity Church
First, I had to start off with explaining the world Christian. In this Muslim society, he really didn't have any framework for Christian or church. Then it was on to the idea that I am a religious leader. He wondered why I was not veiled. I tried to explain that I was like the Imam of a local mosque but that only blew his mind even more. He went away and chewed on what I had told him for a few minutes before coming back and asking me if I was a virgin. I laughed and told him that I had two children. I think his mind exploded at that moment. We talked more about the nature of God and the differing rules as it relates to religious belief. "Your god OK with alcohol?!!  Mine says alcohol is bad!"  And on it went.

I don't think I have ever been in a situation where a rudimentary understanding of Christian or church is not shared.  It was startling and prodded some late-night musing on what it is like when your core identity and beliefs are completely outside the realm of comprehension by another person.  

I have spent much of my time in the Middle East trying to understand "the other" often taking the role of amateur anthropologist. I work hard to understand the context, customs, and culture of this place.  I ask questions, test my assumptions, and still miss the mark. But rarely have I been the object of such curiosity and miscomprehension.  

It reminds me that context goes both ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment